AccessBlog.net

News, links, downloads, tips and tricks on Microsoft Access and related

About Me Search
Alex
Name:Alex Dybenko

Location:Moscow, Russia

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

“User Friendly” Name Autocorrect option

Some days ago I had to send few new queries to my colleague. I created a new Access database, imported there new queries and sent it to my colleague. I do not send queries such way very often, last time it was in Access 97 time, and it worked fine there...

If a few hours he replied that application (which uses these queries) does not work, hangs, etc. How come? After some investigations – I found a following feature of Access Name Autocorrect – when you import a query into database, which does not have source table(s) – all joins between missing table(s) just get deleted without any notification! Very bad behavior! So please be careful and as soon as you create new database – switch Name Autocorrect option off. Immediately! This will save you some time later.

Other problems, caused by this “User Friendly” option you can find at Allen Browne site.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got linked to this from a tek-tips.com post...I'm assuming you wrote the add-in fix for the Name-Autocorrect. I just wanted to say thanks--that 'feature' has dogged me since it was introduced!

I've used tools like Speed-Ferret for global renaming--and speedferret is thorough, but the MS attempt at it was so spotty that it was downright dangerous.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home