AccessBlog.net

News, links, downloads, tips and tricks on Microsoft Access and related

About Me Search
Alex
Name:Alex Dybenko

Location:Moscow, Russia

Thursday, November 03, 2011

Access source control software

Source control software is quite useful when several people work on the same project same time; one can take ownership on certain object or module (check-out), make modification, put it back (check-in), and other developers get changes you made. I have used myself Visual Source Safe, long time ago, in Access 97 time. Last version, Visual SourceSafe 2005, will retire from mainstream support on 10 July 2012, and now you can use Team Foundation Server, which offers similar functionality. Recently I learned about OASIS-SVN versioning system, which is much cheaper than TFS. Do you know other source control software for Access? Are you happy using it? Please share your experience!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Rainer said...

I tried the pushok git plugin as well as sourcesafe and lately oasis. I like oasis best. The checkin/ checkout workflow is just not a very good fit. However I mainly use this alone without other devs so your mileage might vary for team collaboration. One thing that's not a fault of any of those tools but the way access handles its forms is that I often get phantom changes where some id or other form feature changes without me touching it. This drives me quite insane as its hard to see what really has changed.
Also oasis doesn't restore all settings (eg start form, linked table passwords )
Other than that I find oasis to be e best of the bunch so far.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Alex Dybenko said...

Thank you for sharing this!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

I'm using Tortoise SVN as my client and Assembla.com for the repository. I had a lot of trouble too as Rainer mentions with "phantom changes". To overcome this I wrote my own VBA modules to export/import the objects - cleaning them up as it goes. I'm successfully developing the app in A2010 in my machine and using A2007 on the clients. Another developer is involved now who works solely on the client hardware. I also had to substitute the PrtDevMode/W etc to make it work from 2010-2007 and back again. It's still a bit clunky but working well.

3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home